20 Feb 10 easy ways to cut costs on your next move
You will hardly surprise anyone by announcing the fact that moving home is an expensive affair – it’s a well-known fact, even to kids.
If you are moving on a tight budget, then you are lucky to have our top 10 ways to save money on your move by greatly cutting your moving costs.
- Save money by saving timeIf time is money, then saving time should save money. Failure to organize your time properly will cause you to fall behind on your moving schedule, and that in turn may force you to look for extra moving labor to fit the deadline. Consequently, extra labor means extra money. Follow a good moving checklist to stay on track until your professional movers come. Follow your detailed to-do list that contains all the important tasks to complete, prior to Moving day.
- Set up a moving budgetRemember that your goal is to control your finances throughout the entire moving process. When looking for good ways to cut moving costs, you should first know what those expenses are, and then figure out how to cut down on moving costs in your particular situation. You should pay special attention to moving company expenses. The price for moving your household goods will be based on the movers’ tariff, move distance, total weight of goods for transportation, additional services, and extra charges and fees. Self-moving expenses are expenses for renting a truck, purchasing or renting moving equipment, buying packing supplies, all the hidden DIY costs, and any risks of injury or damage.
- Make your relocation choicesRemember, the greater the move distance, the more professional services you will need. One of the best ways to reduce the cost of moving is to make the right choice, as far as relocation assistance is concerned. For example, if you’re moving across town or to a neighboring city with few household items and a good number of helping friends willing to give you a hand, then organizing and executing a self-move is the best choice letting you save money on your move.
- Pick a low-cost moving companyHiring an affordable moving company is still a good variant, choosing a cheap mover that will still offer high-quality moving services. Compare the mover’s quotes carefully, pay special attention to the additional services and their respective rates.
- Stay clever choosing the date of your moveOne of the surprisingly effective ways to reduce the moving price, is to book your move as early as you can. Furthermore, if you have any flexibility in selecting your move-out date at all, then you must use that unique chance to cut down on moving costs by choosing to move out during the off-peak season – anywhere between September-May period. The rates of professional moving companies are usually lower during the colder months of the year, and they will certainly offer better deals to their customers.
- Pack yourselfIf you have enough time, you won’t find it too hard to put your clothes into boxes or to arrange your belongings into small cardboard boxes. While it’s true that not paying for professional packing services will greatly reduce your moving cost, you can’t always prevent that. Specialty items and highly fragile breakables will still require the expert touch of professional packers.
- Get free packing boxesTo cut moving costs effectively, you are encouraged to look for free moving boxes instead of purchasing. You should think about the price of packing paper, bubble wrap or a few rolls of quality packing tape, and you’ll see why the idea of finding free moving boxes can turn out to be a budget-saver.
- Use good alternatives to packing suppliesOrdinary household blankets, old bed sheets, bath towels, small rugs, and even thick socks can serve as excellent wrapping and cushioning materials. Whenever you need to use space fillers or extra protection over initial layers of white packing paper, super cheap newsprint paper will definitely help you lower your moving costs. Buckets, baskets, trash cans, suitcases, bags, Ziploc bags, jewelry boxes, and even drawers can be used to substitute standard moving boxes.
- Clean out your home of unwanted stuffPurge your residence of unwanted stuff and start a new chapter of your life, in an uncluttered home or apartment. To cut down on moving costs, complete a detailed home inventory to also uncover long forgotten items, and then make individual decisions based on their current condition, value, practicality, and usefulness. Be ruthless while making up your mind as far as what to take and what to toss.
- Sell items you don’t need
If you have enough time, you can try to sell your unwanted stuff online using familiar websites such as Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, etc. However, if you’re pressed for time, then organizing an emergency garage sale may be just the right thing to get rid of unwanted things when moving to a new home, and to earn some extra money. Gifting or donating to charity is the right decision too.
Remember that even seemingly small ways to reduce moving costs will make a big difference in the end.