To keep your moving day comforting and free from stress, declutter your life before you start packing. The good side of moving is that it forces you to get rid of things you do not need anymore or the stuff you didn’t even know you owned. Just remember that the fewer things you move,the cheaper it is, when hiring a moving company and easier if there’s less to pack if you move yourself.
- Sort through your belongingsBefore starting the packing, our recommendation is to sort through your things so you don’t end up moving stuff that you don’t need and have never really used. Not only will it save you time in packing and unpacking, but it will also save you money; the more stuff you have to move, the more expensive it will be.
Have three parts to determine belongings, for every room:
- Stuff you’ll keep
- stuff to throw away
- stuff to donate or sell
- As you go through closets and drawers, drop each item into one of the three boxes accordingly or make notes on your sheets. Sorting through your stuff and deciding what to pack and what to get rid of, is never easy. Write down some key questions for yourself, that can help you decide what should move with you and what should go.For example:
- Have I used this item in the past year?
- If I was shopping right now, would I buy this again?
- How much space does this item need?
- Am I saving this just in case?
- Could something else I own do the same job?
- Will this match my new decor?
- Do I feel obligated to keep this?
- Organize a garage saleThere’s something about going through someone else’s stuff, and most people can’t resist a garage sale. Garage sales are a great way to get rid of things you don’t want or need, to move. Invite your neighbors and friends and spend a fun time together! It’s also a great way to lighten your moving truck and make some money at the same time, money that can even pay off your move.
- Sell your stuff onlineOne more option is to sell your items online: Use e-Bay or Facebook Marketplace to post well-made pics of things that someone else might be needing!
- Look at moving like an opportunity for charity Donate the items that you don’t wish to sell. Coats, blankets, gently used clothing, furniture, office equipment, and kitchen appliances can often find a new home.
When you’ve finished going through each item in your home, to make sure you’ll use it again, go back to your “Keep” pile and look at the items that you decided to keep. Go through each one to make sure you’ll use it again. If you’re hesitating, better add it to the “donate/sell” pile. Organize by type, in a room, the things you want to keep and move,and select the appropriately sized boxes. Label each moving box with the contents and destination room, that will help you so much for unpacking in your new space!