21 Feb 10 priceless tips for moving your valuables
Nowadays, more and more people are not considering professional moving companies and prefer to do it themselves. The most obvious answer to this is quite simple – hiring a professional moving company is expensive. To avoid high costs, follow these tips:
- DIY: You may save money by packing most of your belongings yourself. By packing non-fragile items such as books, linens, clothing, and shoes yourself, you free up the professional NYC movers’ time for packing more substantial things that generally take more time and experience to pack and handle.
- Limit the Weight of Each Box: When packing heavy things, you better use smaller boxes as a general rule to stick to try to keep the weight of the box to around 50 lbs. When packing clothes, don’t put all shoes in one box—put a couple of pairs on the bottom of each box. Always remember to lift with your knees instead of your back.
- Pack Your Valuables: Don’t let a moving company pack valuables such as jewelry, family heirlooms, or other priceless items. Control is packing yourself. You should also try to move these types of things in your car or with you if it is possible.
- Get the Right Size and Strength Boxes: Use professional moving boxes for all valuables. You can save by going to your local supermarket and asking for boxes for replaceable and non-fragile items. Kill two birds with one stone by packing your clothes in your bags and suitcases.
- Take the Time to Pack Your Belongings Carefully: Be sure to separate your fragile items in the boxes by using old newspapers, bubble wrap, sheets, blankets, pillows, and towels. Wrap breakable items separately. Don’t leave empty spaces within a box that can move and shift while driving in a van. Label these boxes, make appropriate notes on them if necessary. Use strong packing tape (not masking tape) for each box. It will take you a little longer to pack, but it’s worth it to protect your valuables!
- Get a Second Opinion: For liability reasons, professional New York moving companies are required to check each box they load into their trucks. An NYC moving company will advise you on whether boxes need to be repacked or are not appropriately packed. If you’re not sure whether a box is sturdy enough for the job, ask your movers for professional help in providing grade moving boxes.
- Get ready Your Major Appliances: Most movers will not disconnect your significant appliances for insurance reasons. You should prepare your refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, washer, and dryer before the movers arrive. If you are moving a computer, back up your essential data and prep the computer, monitor, and printer for the move.
- Plan to Carry Living Things With You: Try to relocate your plants, pets, fish, etc. yourself. They will need special preparations.
- Keep HazMats to Yourself: Moving companies will not transport hazardous materials such as paint, thinners, solvents, oils, varnishes, firearms and ammunition, bottled gas, propane, lamp oil, anything flammable, explosive or corrosive, motor fuels and oils, nail polish remover, bleach, and aerosol cans. Pack these items separately and move them yourself.
- Organize Your Boxes: Loading (and unloading) the moving truck will be more comfortable if you organize the boxes by rooms they will be unloaded into. Also, set up a staging area close to the front door to make the relocation process more comfortable for yourself and the moving company.